** All application materials must be submitted electronically (using the electronic form) no later than 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Friday, August 21, 2009. **
The University of Pennsylvania is launching an 18-month Academy focused on preparing Black males for admission to Ph.D. programs in education immediately upon completion of their undergraduate studies. They will begin the Academy this fall with 10 Black males who are in their junior year of college. Check it out here: http://www.gse.upenn.edu/blackmen
Each Academy participant will receive:
- a 4-day all-expense paid visit to Philadelphia this fall
- opportunities for meaningful engagement with the dean, faculty, graduate students, and Black male alumni
- free enrollment in a 3-month Kaplan GRE Prep Course (for which Penn is paying $1,200 per participant)
- a current Black male Ph.D. student who will mentor him through the application process;
- and an application fee waiver when he applies for Fall 2011 admission to Penn (valued at $85).
Most importantly, those who are admitted to our Ph.D. Programs two years from now will be fully funded for their entire 3-4 years of doctoral study.
Please forward this information to Black male undergraduates you know and encourage them to submit applications by August 21st. The Academy is only for Black men who are starting their junior year this fall and planning to graduate in Spring 2011.