Principle #6: Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah): Creativity
Using creativity and imagination to make your communities better than what you inherited.
Some of the most imaginative career moves are also the most simple:
- Attend networking and professional association events to stay current on workplace and training trends, and to meet and be seen by others in your field.
- Host a networking event for your colleagues or fellow job seekers. Use the event to promote your brand and show your leadership skills.
- Keep track of major projects you worked on and your accomplishments. Send a brief report of these activities to your supervisor 2-4 times a year. Use these accomplishments to update your resume and online profiles.
- Know the goals and strategic plan or your employer or perspective company. Look for business connections, grants, or projects that will benefit the company’s goals.
Of course employers want to hire people who will help improve their business and bring them money. However, your top priority can be to use your creativity to do work that is meaningful to you. Create a career that brings you fulfillment and financial security.
Your Move: 5 Creative Job Search Tips
Your Move: 29 Career Management Tips
Using the 7 Principles to Boost Your Career:
- Umoja ~ Unity
- Kujichagulia ~ Self-Determination
- Ujima ~ Collective work and responsibility
- Ujamaa ~ Collective economics
- Nia ~ Purpose
- Kuumba ~ Creativity
- Imani ~ Faith