Many people are glad that the employment and economic turmoil of 2009 is over. Just as many, however, are facing a tough start to 2010, thanks to those same financial problems.
Instead of dreading 2010, let’s take a minute to look back over the past decade. Thinking about what your life was like in 2000 and how it has changed over the past decade might put your current situation into perspective.
- What was your life like in the year 2000? What was your work or school situation?
- How would you describe your personal life at the beginning of this decade?
- How did the recession of 2000 affect your life?
- What was most important in your life10 years ago? What were your biggest challenges in 2000?
- In 2005, what was your work or school situation?
- How did plans or activities from previous years affect your life in 2005 (positive or negative)?
- Which unexpected events in the past 10 years (1999-2009) impacted your career or education (positive or negative)?
- What activities or plans did you make in the past 10 years that are affecting your life now?
- Ten years ago, did you have a vision of what the year 2010 would be like for you? How is your life today different from that vision? How is it better?
- What is your vision for your life and career for the next 10 years? What actions can you take today to nurture that vision?
How did it feel to look back at the decade? Did it remind you of some of your accomplishments? Are you living the life you planned, or did you have to make adjustments along the way?
Are you happy with “Plan B?”
3 thoughts on “Career Advice: Take a Look Back Before Decade Ends”
Aw, this was a really nice post. In concept I wish to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and certainly not appear to get something done.
You might want to check out this other post “What Are Your Intentions for the Next Decade?”
Hope it provides motivation for you.
Keep looking up,
Thanks for this post. I definitely agree with what you are saying. I have been talking about this subject a lot lately with my father so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed!
Comments are closed.