The purpose of the monthly roundtables, sponsored by the Minnesota Career Development Association, is to make us better career development professionals through meaningful research, shared practice, and discussion. These events are open to students and professionals working in career development. More about MCDA.
Reinventing Your Career: Examining the Work
Co-Facilitated by Irene Rossman and Kim Marrone
When: Thursday, November 19, 2009
Time: 6:00 – 7:30pm
Where: Career Partners International, Northland Plaza, 3800 American Blvd West, Bloomington, MN 55431
Please RSVP to v i c t o r m @ u m n . e d u NLT November 18, 2009. We will be serving food at our next meeting, so please RSVP to ensure there is enough for everyone. Also, if you have any food allergies or preferences, include that in your RSVP.
Reinventing Your Career: Examining the Work by Herminia Ibarra
As we know well, the recent economic changes have led to large numbers of job seekers and many of them are taking the opportunity to discover new career options. Coupled with this change is the increase in older workers who want to continue working but desire to find more satisfying work.
This RoundTable will focus on the concepts presented by Herminia Ibarra in her book Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career. Her main premise is that adults are more successful in making career changes if they take action and experiment with new possibilities, rather than trying to “think” our way into a new career. We’ll talk about the topics below and more.
- The traditional model of change vs. Ibarra’s model
- We have many possible “selves” so there isn’t just one “right career”
- How to guide someone through career change
- Practical tools for us to share with clients who are in transition
- Share ideas and experiences around career change
The following are some resources for your review prior to the session. Please come with situations and questions from your experience and any suggestions you can share to help us counsel career-changers more effectively.
- Book – Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career by Herminia Ibarra
- h t t p : / / w w w . i n s e a d . f r / f a c u l t y r e s e a r c h / f a c u l t y / p r o f i l e s / h i b a r r a /
- h t t p : / / w w w . c a r e e r s h i f t e r s . o r g / n o d e / 5 6 6
Please RSVP to v i c t o r m @ u m n . e d u NLT November 18, 2009.