Your goal is not to use online networking tools a lot. Your goal is to use online networking tools effectively.
1. Complete your LinkedIn profile.
- Add a bio that summarizes who you are professionally and what your career goals are. Tell people what mark you want to leave on your industry.
- Add a photo of you in a professional setting.
- Only list the past jobs that are relevant to your current job search, or that reinforce your personal brand.
2. Joint groups on LinkedIn related to your industry. Also participate in local networking or job seeker groups. Post and respond to discussions.
3. Pay attention to your LinkedIn connections’ updates. Send notes of congratulations when appropriate, share resources or blog articles, or just say hello every few weeks or months.
4. Use Twitter and Google+ to keep current on news and trends. Retweet and share information with your contacts.
>> Back to Your 4-Step Job Search Check Up
Also from DeniseMpls:
- Social Networking & Personal Branding Tips
- Q&A: Tools to Help With Your Career Change
- 5 Quick Tips to Build Your Professional Network
- 4 Steps to Advance Your Career or Make a Change