First my heart goes out to my 23,000 Minnesota State employee colleagues laid off due to Democratic Governor Mark Dayton and Republican legislative leaders failure to reach a budget deal.
Like the thousands of other Minnesotans looking for work, the shutdown means fewer supports to help the laid off workers.
Services disrupted during the shutdown:
- Minnesota WorkForce Centers are closed. Very few services are offered at selected locations. Call your local WorkForce Center to find out what, if any, programs are available (888-GET JOBS or 888-38-5627).
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services offices are closed.
- The MinnesotaWorks.net jobs website is turned off. Employers cannot post jobs and job seekers cannot access current job openings on the site.
Some good news:
- Medicaid and temporary assistance to needy families will continue.
- Public colleges and schools will continue operations.