This question was originally posted on the DeniseMpls Facebook page.
I am going to be looking for professional work for the first time in years. Any advice?
- the type of job you are looking for
- your career cluster or industry
The details change for each person with each job search. However, every job seeker and every employee planning his or her next career move should follow three steps:
- Know Yourself
- Be Yourself
- Express Yourself
Get a notebook or make a computer file for yourself to keep track of all your career information. Answer these questions or others like them before you start applying for jobs.
- What is the target job you want right now?
- What is important to you? How will your target job help you get or keep what is important to you?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- What type of work environment fits you (schedule, setting, personal interactions)?
- What skills and experiences will you bring to your new job?
- How does your work fit in with your personal goals or mission?
- What teams or professional communities are you active in?
- What groups of people do you want to help? How will you help these people in your job?
- How will you help an employer to improve their business or make money?
- How can you share all or parts of your personality at work?
- How do you communicate with others, share information?
- How do you display your professional skills using social media?
- What do you do that is better or different from other people? How will you show this at work?
Also from DeniseMpls: